Wednesday 10th February saw the third OptaPro Analytics Forum take place at Birkbeck University, central London.
The event gave some of the most talented amateur analysts, bloggers and academics the chance to showcase their work to over 200 delegates from professional football. Many of the attendees currently work within leading clubs from across the globe, including Chelsea, Liverpool, FC Barcelona and AS Roma.
After a thorough judging process six speakers were selected to present their ideas and four poster presentations were chosen. There was also a guest talk from renowned NBA statistician Dean Oliver. In his talk, Dean elaborated on his insights and first-hand experience in scouting and successfully applying analytics within professional sport.
The day was a fantastic success, offering presenters the unique opportunity to showcase their analysis directly to clubs, with a range of healthy discussions and new ideas presented.
OptaPro Analytics Forum speakers
1. The element of surprise in attacks, Sam Gregory
2. A mathematical model for evaluating footballers, Martin Eastwood
3. Player tracking and tactical possession evaluation, William Spearman
4. An extra year of Kindergarten, Joel Salamon
5. Space: the final footballing frontier, Simon Butler
6. Not just a shot-stopper: assessing the penalty box prowess of goalkeepers, Sam Jackson
7. Guest talk, Dean Oliver
OptaPro Analytics Forum posters
1. Qualifying the pitch effect on dimensions of play, Danny Page
2. The 10 second tactical map, David Sumpter
3. Hierarchical clustering for player recruitment, Neil Charles
4. Actionable network models of football teams, Santiago Gallino
A full review of the OptaPro forum will be published in the next few days but if you wish to keep updated with any news following the event, please search the hashtag #OptaProForum.